• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 4, 2017

    President Duterte cancels Japan trip, stays at hand as Marawi crisis intensifies

    As the siege in Marawi City intensifies, President Rodrigo Roa Duterte for the second time had cancelled a pre-scheduled international travel to personally attend to the ongoing crisis in Mindanao.

    According to an article published by Nekkei Asian Review, Duterte opted to call off his planned trip to Tokyo.


    “Given the intensifying situation [in Marawi], the president was urged to cancel his trip to Tokyo. Duterte has remained in Mindanao since cutting short a trip to Russia last May,” says the article.

    The article also revealed that the said planned trip was supposedly for President Duterte to do a closing speech in a certain event in Japan. Also, the Philippine President was supposed to meet with Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

    “Duterte was supposed to deliver the closing speech at Nikkei's 23rd Conference on the Future of Asia on June 6. A meeting with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and a promotional event for Duterte's infrastructure program, dubbed Dutertenomics, were also being worked out,” the article said.

    It can be recalled that this cancelled trip would have been President Duterte's second visit to Tokyo after making the first one in October last year.

    Meanwhile, the said cancellation decided upon by President Duterte himself garnered compliments from the netizens. One of them is from Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) Asssistant Secretary Lorraine Marie T. Badoy.

    In Dr. Badoy’s Facebook account, she posted a status commending the President for his upright handling of the Marawi City crisis. She furthered her positive comment pointing out the president’s dedication and commitment to address the issues of terrorism in the Philippines as shown by his previous actions.

    “The kind of President who never leaves us but is down in the trenches with us--more muddied and bloodied than we are. That there is my President.” claimed DSWD ASec Lorraine Badoy.


    On the other hand, military operations in Mindanao are currently on their third week and the number of casualties related to the crisis is continuously rising. The said operations are in pursuit of the militants aligned with the Islamic State group, specifically the Maute group. The country's armed forces said more than a hundred people had already been killed including militants, government forces, and civilians.

    Source: Lorraine Marie T. Badoy, Nekkei Asian Review
    ------------------------------------
    Let others know about this story by clicking the LIKE and SHARE button below. Thank you!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Follow Us on Facebook

    Political views and opinions published by News Gear PH does not necessary reflect the view of any particular political party.

    Total Pageviews